- Temporary, full-time opportunity with a monthly RDO
- Parental leave replacement position (contract to March 2024)
- Band 6 salary starts from $82,922 per annum plus statutory superannuation
About the City of Ballarat
The City of Ballarat, 100km west of Melbourne’s CBD is one of the largest inland regional cities in the country. Ballarat is uniquely located with easy access to Melbourne, Geelong and Bendigo and is the Western Victorian capital for a region of 250,000 people.
The City of Ballarat has a growing economy that attracts and retains innovative businesses, employs a highly skilled workforce and attracts new residents whilst promoting the city’s unique heritage and vibrant cultural life. It has all the services, retail and entertainment opportunities you'd find in a capital city but with a relaxed country attitude. With affordable housing at a fraction of Melbourne prices and a progressive leadership team, now is a great time to join the City of Ballarat.
The position of Financial Accountant reports to the Coordinator Financial Accounting. This role is part of the Financial Services team and is responsible for the delivery of accounting services, including assistance with the completion of financial reporting and other statutory and taxation requirements, general ledger reconciliations and accounting support for Council management and staff. The key deliverables of this position include:
- Ensuring journal requests are reviewed and processed in an efficient manner, ensuring accuracy in all processing.
- Ensure month end and year end procedures are performed to provide accurate and timely financial reporting, including preparation of reconciliations and follow up of any issues identified.
- Provide accounting guidance and assistance to managers and other staff and ensure Council’s internal Finance policies and procedures are adhered to and maintained.
- Assist with the preparation of Annual Financial Statements and corresponding audit files, and other statutory returns including Victoria Grants Commission return.
- Compilation and lodgement of Council’s ATO reporting obligations including FBT and BAS returns, as well as GST and FBT compliance and monitoring.
- Provide support as required for the completion of the daily bank reconciliation process.
- Maintenance of Council’s purchase card reporting software and review of transactions for compliance to policy.
- Support the Coordinator Financial Accounting in projects that involve financial accounting systems and processes and undertake work of investigative and analytical nature with a view to problem solve and suggest improvements. Assist with the identification and introduction of improvements to finance related systems and processes.
This is a parental leave replacement position that will be fixed term until March 2024. The role is full time and will come with a monthly rostered day off (RDO). The band 6 salary starts from $82,922 per annum plus statutory superannuation.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, the City of Ballarat is seeking a professional who is tertiary qualified in Accounting and has CPA/CA status or equivalent. Proven ability to work collaboratively and effectively with key stakeholders and achieving successful outcomes coupled with experience in a professional finance position would be highly advantageous.
Key Selection Criteria
- Tertiary qualification in accounting and successful completion of CPA/CA or equivalent studies along with experience in a complex finance environment.
- Demonstrated well developed financial accounting skills and knowledge with the ability to interpret and apply legislation and regulations as it applies in a local government context
- Demonstrable experience and proficiency in a variety of computer programs related to the role.
- Experience delivering a variety of tasks, on time, with a high degree of accuracy.
- Relationship building skills and the ability to effectively engage with a variety of stakeholders.
To apply for this position please click on the Apply button and submit your application.
The closing date for this position is 12 noon Monday 30th January 2023. Please ensure that you provide a cover letter addressing all key selection criteria and current resume.
The successful applicant will be required to undergo a full employment medical and police check.
For any additional questions, please contact Jacinta Tori, Coordinator Financial Accounting on 03 5320 5506.
The City of Ballarat is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to providing a safe and inclusive working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and flexibility. We welcome applications from all walks of life and celebrate the diversity and richness this brings to our workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from people living with a disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, culturally, religiously and linguistically diverse people, young people, older people, women, and people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex or queer. We support flexible and accessible working arrangements for all and are committed to ensuring that all jobs in our workforce can be performed flexibly. If you're short listed for a role and are looking for flexibility, we encourage you to start the flexible working conversation with the hiring manager to find out what options may be possible for the role you're applying for.