- Exciting Full-time 12 month leadership opportunity until August 2023
- Salary Band 7, $90,742 to $100,484 per annum plus statutory superannuation
- Balance your lifestyle and career in beautiful Ballarat
Have you ever thought about working in a picturesque and growing historical Victorian city? Do you aspire to make a difference working for the protection of public health and on innovative projects whilst enjoying a work/life balance within a supportive team environment?
About the City of Ballarat
The City of Ballarat, 100km west of Melbourne’s CBD is one of the largest inland regional cities in the country. Ballarat is uniquely located with easy access to Melbourne, Geelong and Bendigo and is the Western Victorian capital for a region of 250,000 people.
The City of Ballarat has a growing economy that attracts and retains innovative businesses, employs a highly skilled workforce and attracts new residents whilst promoting the city’s unique heritage and vibrant cultural life. It has all the services, retail and entertainment opportunities you'd find in a capital city but with a relaxed country attitude. With affordable housing at a fraction of Melbourne prices and a progressive leadership team, now is a great time to join the City of Ballarat in this exciting leadership role.
Reporting to the Coordinator Environmental Health, the position will be a key member of the Environmental Health Team.
As a senior member of the team, the Team Leader Environmental Health will have a positive attitude and ability to motivate and mentor team members. Along with being responsible for managing complex issues from an Environmental Health perspective, be a good communicator with internal and external stakeholders and have good conflict resolution skills.
The Team Leader will be responsible for ensuring an efficient and innovative program of environmental health services, including operationally fulfilling Councils statutory obligations under the relevant Acts (i.e. Food Act 1984, Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, Tobacco Act 1987, Residential Tenancies Act 1997 & Environment Protection Act 2017).
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, we are seeking an Environmental Health Officer professional with a strong background, demonstrated technical experience, leadership to apply risk management principles, use initiative and common sense in making judgements and offering solutions to problems. In addition, you will have:
- A broad knowledge base in the field of Environmental Health and OHS relevant to the role is essential.
- You will be motivated and actively contribute to the development of new policies and special projects.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise and clearly communicate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Take on a ‘second in charge’ role in the management of the team and in the absence of the Coordinator Environmental Health.
- Covid19 vaccinations required for this role.
Key Selection Criteria
- Bachelor of Health Science or equivalent qualification acceptable for membership to Environmental Health Professionals Australia (Victoria) with extensive experience in an environmental health role.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and well-developed conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience applying relevant legislation to undertake Environmental Health duties.
- Proven ability to employ good judgement and effectively utilise discretion in a regulatory environment.
- Well-developed written communication skills with demonstrated experience in the preparation of Council reports, procedures and legal proceedings.
- Must be able to lead and mentor team members to achieve results.
- An ability to be innovative in the delivery of environmental health programs.
- Have a sound understanding of emergency management principles in relation to environmental health and be prepared to work on the after-hours roster.
- Current Victorian Driver Licence.
- Sound knowledge of budgeting processes.
- Demonstrated ability to implement and monitor adherence to health and safety policies and procedures within a team environment.
- Knowledge of safe work practices and training relevant to work activities or work area.
- Knowledge of health and safety hazard management and appropriate controls relevant to work activities and work area.
To apply for this position please click on the Apply button and submit your application. The closing date for this position is 12 noon, Monday 27th June 2022. Please ensure that you provide a cover letter, current resume, address each key selection criteria in the position description.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo a pre-employment medical and police check. Covid-19 vaccinations are required for this role.
For any additional questions, please contact Tyrone Marini, Coordinator Environmental Health on (03) 5320 5702.
The City of Ballarat is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to providing a safe and inclusive working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and flexibility.We welcome applications from all walks of life and celebrate the diversity and richness this brings to our workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from people living with a disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, culturally, religiously and linguistically diverse people, young people, older people, women, and people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex or queer. We support flexible and accessible working arrangements for all and are committed to ensuring that all jobs in our workforce can be performed flexibly. If you're short listed for a role and are looking for flexibility, we encourage you to start the flexible working conversation with the hiring manager to find out what options may be possible for the role you're applying for.